Sunday, April 8, 2012

Goals

Well friends, Lent ends today and what a month and a half this has been! First off, let me update on things that happened since my last post.

Vacation was WONDERFUL! It was great seeing my family and getting to spend some time with friends there. We all had a great time and have some hilarious albeit strange quotes. We did eat moderately healthy thanks to my mom's OUTSTANDING cooking. And we went to Kool Beans Cafe for Sunday brunch which was AMAZING! (If you live in Tallahassee and haven't been there yet, I HIGHLY recommend it!)  And honestly, this is about the 5th or 6th week that I've done okay with just one soda a week and I can't say I miss it. Finding other beverage options that offer more health benefits (tea - mainly to get over my cold) or when I'm craving something with flavor: lemonade.  Still working on the eating habits and exercise.

On the way back, a friend and I agreed to do a "beta test" (this is a major nerd thing and we talked about the phases of software development (pushes glasses up on her face), but mostly a reference to 'The Big Bang Theory' where Penny and Leonard agree to do a beta test of their relationship) and we have been dating ever since.  No one was surprised  - all our friends just said, "it's about time!!"

In the past several days however, we had a trip to the ER. He has pneumonia and a SLEW of other health problems which scared us both pretty bad into making some changes for the better.  I bought a couple books on nutrition (see previous post on how addicted I am to books) and we did a 5k (my 4th one thank you very much!) on Saturday (his idea to join us and walk it with pneumonia....) we're talking about making some other changes as well.  One thing that his being sick has brought out is how much I NEED to take care of myself before I can take care of others (the Pathways mantra!).  I've had to say no quite a bit in the past couple of days so I can stay healthy and I'm realizing how many of my goals relate to taking care of me in more ways than just appearance.

I must admit, I've fallen off the bandwagon in terms of keeping up my water and limiting my soda. But every day is a new day right?

I DID however get to check off one of my 28 by 28 - the doctor visits.  I have seen my (now) primary for a check up, been to the dentist (sadly I have 2 small cavities..but they are the first cavities in 27 years...that's pretty good!), and have an appointment with the orthopedist to get my scoliosis checked out. 

I also made a list of goals (I know, me and lists right?) in 5 pound increments of rewards I'll give myself for losing that 5 pounds. They're all "things" - I want to get better about rewarding myself with things other than food. I'm almost at my second goal (like 2 pounds away!) !! Some of the things include cut and color, teeth whitening, new glasses, a dress from modcloth when I lose more weight, clothes, shoes, you get the idea.  I know I've got a long way to go, but by helping me focus on the short term goals I think I can be much more successful (and props to my friend Marie for suggesting this!!). Now I'm just thinking about putting up a daily reminder on my mirror or somewhere in my room....post it or dry erase marker - suggestions?

One thing I love about where I work is the incentive to maintain a healthy lifestyle and once every few months they do a "healthy me" challenge - the first one I did was about eating habits - eating breakfast every day, not skipping meals, eating more vegetables and I won $50! The one I'm doing this month is about being active - the goal is to get at least 64 points (1 point = 10 minutes of activity - walking, dancing, yard work, household chores) so the weekly goal would be 15 points a week and then on the last 2 days of the month do 2 each day for the total of 64. I did make my goal of 15 points this week (thanks to the 5k) and am looking for things to do this week to help keep me active and meet my goal.  The gal that sends out the reminders to log points sent a list of motivations this week - some were ones I hadn't even thought about (see NEXT post for the list). But are good to keep in mind.

What things do you use to help keep you on track?

1 comment:

  1. Wooooo! This is exciting.

    Congrats on the 5k. David and I are doing our first one on May 19th. Any progress is good progress, so you're doing well! Keep it up.

    I heard you were in town, but I think I was too slammed to be able to make it out to your parents' house. Next time!

    ReplyDelete