Wednesday, December 1, 2010

It's about time....

I had a wonderful Thanksgiving in Nashville with my family (sans sister and brother-in-law), instead of being vegetables and gorging on food, I decided to start a new tradition - doing a 5k Thanksgiving morning.  My mom, my aunt and my cousin had never done one and my dad had done one many moons ago.  We ALL completed it in less than an hour - my SECOND one for 2010 and I beat my time back in April.  I didn't eat quite so much dressing and hardly ANY dessert!   YAY ME!!

While in Nashville, my mom presented me with some old photos.  One of them was from my high school graduation trip to Destin, FL.  I was shocked at how skinny I was.   I showed the picture to one of my (male) friends who, after picking his jaw up off the floor and making a few awkward comments, made the observations that I was that skinny once and I can be again and furthermore, the reason I got to where I am no longer exists, so why am I struggling so much with losing weight?  Good point.   While the person may not physically be in my life anymore, the things he said still echo with me.  I have no problem imagining myself skinny again, but when it comes to actually doing the hard work and pushing myself, I always stop short.  I didn't always do that, but it seems to have become the norm in more areas in my life.  I am still trying to determine the point where the change happened and I think it was after my first Jury at FSU when I was told I need to change majors.   I thought I had gotten past that, but apparrently there's some unresolevd issues that still demand attention.   I think I need to do a Pathways activity and write down all those old "tapes" and things he used to tell me about myself and replace them with new positive things, as for the lack of motivation and discipline....I'm going to need some help with conquering that beast. 

On a more positive note....I dropped a size!! YAY! A week after I bought new jeans they were already starting to become loose.  Too bad I don't have the cash to support my new clothes habit.

3 comments:

  1. Way to go, Rach! I think that is a super tradition - hopefully we can participate in that someday. :) And congrats on dropping a size! What an achievement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks JB! And I might just take you up on your offer to borrow some cookbooks

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome! i need motivation & discipline, too, & reading this gives me the first half!

    ReplyDelete