Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Life law #7 : "Life is managed, not cured"

Tonight has been all about weight loss as a journey, not a finish line. I did a weight loss class at curves tonight - the first of 7.  It talked about weight loss as a lifelong journey - the fact that you can't maintain a caloric intake of 1200 calories a day - you'll stay on a diet the rest of your life!!  The Biggest Loser also talked about weight loss as a journey as all the contestants were focused on final four and reaching their weight loss goal, but as Bob talked about, you have to make a commitment to live this way the rest of your life - not exercising 8 hours a day, but eating the right foods and moving.  They showed the pictures of the before and after and the videos of each really had a strong impact on me.  All the things they talked about - not wanting to get up, feeling invisible, wanting so much to have someone to share and experience life with, but about having to love yourself first, it all hits home with me. I miss getting hugs, having someone to come home to, someone to share my days and weekends with.  The point was made tonight that you can't let setbacks keep you down - its just like riding a bike - you pick yourself back up and try again.  That's what I'm going to do - but I can't keep half-heartedly doing this - sure working out is working out no matter how many times you go -but if you still consume junk food at each meal you're not going to get anywhere.   So below are my 'trigger' foods- those foods that I know I can't eat in moderation.

1. Pizza                           8. Chips and salsa/queso/guac
2. Donuts                        9. Soda  - namely Dr. Pepper and Mountain Dew
3. Cookies                    10. Chocolate
4. Fries                         11. My mom's chicken spaghetti
5. Pasta                        12. Mac and Cheese
6. Bread                       13. Chinese!!
7. Bacon

This also encompasses junk food - Sonic, McDonald's, Burger King - basically any place with a drive thru. My goal is going to be not to have any of these foods the rest of the week - or at least until Sunday when I have my last meal before going on the curves food plan (suggestions and company welcome) which surprisingly I'm actually looking forward to - the way they presented it tonight was easy, straightforward and very easy to follow if you plan ahead.  So stay tuned for those meals - the favorites and the no so favorites. 

By the way...this marks the first time that I have done the exercise/eat better thing fairly consistenly for the first time since I was skinny. That's a HUGE deal!!!

Celebrate the small :)

2 comments:

  1. Way to go, Rach! I applaud your efforts. And I will DEFINITELY be taking notes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm glad i saw your facebook status, b/c i love your blog! i too have been struggling with weight for several years. two years ago, i did really great & lost 20 pounds, but after injuring my knee running, i gained it all back. last year, when we moved to indiana, not cooking & eating out became a worse habit that ever, & i gained 15 more pounds. i'm the heaviest i've ever been, & i'm done with it. i know i can do it b/c i've done it before. and your blog is quite the inspiration! keep up the great work!!!

    ReplyDelete