Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Terrible news, Good news and EXCITING news!

Sorry for the delay in posting in a while, I've had quite a roller coaster of a month so far.

Mom and dad came in to town 2 weeks ago and I got to spend some time with them. That Friday we (including Jon) went to Plano to what we thought was going to be a consultation for back surgery.  After visiting with the scoli surgeon and his assistant, they were convinced that with some core strengthening I could live with the curve and it would help lessen the pain.  Jon spoke up at that point and said that it wasn't just some "mild discomfort" and began describing the pain to him, which made the doctors go back to the x-ray. When they came in the room he wasn't so optimistic. "We found a shadow...." then he led us into the room to view the x-ray, where he showed us what he was talking about.  He wasn't sure what it was but due to the size of it, wanted to have it checked out immediately. So he called over to Baylor (next door) and sent me in for a CT scan.  They did the CT scan and then called us all into the viewing room.  The scoli surgeon was there as well (even though by now, it was about 5:15 on Friday evening and I was really no longer his concern). He told us that while we had hoped we wouldn't have anything to worry about over the weekend, we now had a LOT to worry about. He then introduced us to the radiologist who went on to explain the image.  As soon as I heard the words, "tumor" and "malignant" my mom latched on to me and I grabbed Jon's hand. Everything else after that just became white noise.  The radiologist explained what he thought it was and gave us next steps and said he would burn the images to a disc.  While we waited for the disc, I broke down. I started crying and all anyone could do was just hug me. As we were going out to the car, the scoli surgeon stopped us and said he had set up an appointment with an oncologist for Monday morning at 8:30.  He would go over the images with us further and discuss next steps from there.  The ride back to my sisters was quiet, other than the occasional ding from a text message on my phone.

On Monday, we confirmed with the oncologist that it is cancer. He said that I would be referred to MD Anderson for a biopsy and then could do chemo up here. So as of right now, I'm still waiting on that appointment. As for the scoliosis....it is not the cause of my pain, the tumor is. And it is possible that the way the tumor is growing, it is the cause for the curve in my spine. I don't have any back pain so having back surgery is no longer in the cards for me.

Now for the exciting news. Jon had said that he was going to have a guys night this past Friday. Shortly after that I got a text from my friend Shelley who suggested we have a girls night, which normally wouldn't cause any suspicion, except she mentioned 1) picking me up and 2) getting "gussied up".  I didn't mention my suspicions to them, just went along with it. Got my hair cut Friday and got ready for dinner.  Shelley and I went to Carrabba's and halfway through our meal, she got a call from one of our friends who works at church wanting Shelley to come up and take care of moving a table for the fundraiser the next night. So we went up to church after dinner and wandered around for a bit until Shelley got a text from our friend saying to go to the chapel to look at a table. So we went to the chapel and as soon as the doors were opened, I saw candles lit the entire length of the aisle and across the stage.  On stage were 4 of our friends with guitars and drums and Jon with a mic. They started playing "Calling You" by Blue October (our song) and Jon sang the second verse. There was an interlude where Jon came down off the stage and gave his speech, how much he loves me, how he wants to wake up next to me, how I'm his best friend (and some other stuff)...then he got down on one knee and proposed.


OF COURSE I SAID YES!!!!!


So now we get to do all the fun things like registering for gifts and planning a honeymoon and oh yeah....deciding who has to leave Cook Children's. :( The HR Policy here states that if you work in IT, HR or Finance you can't have any relative working at the hospital. Of course our boss is going to try to fight it, but it's not a guarantee.  We're still working on a date, but are very excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment